Early Years First Aid
12 Hours (2 Days)
What does the course offer?
This course is designed for carers of children and babies in the absence of their parents/guardians.
It is a requirement from Ofsted that there should be at least one person available within the childcare setting at all times who holds a valid paediatric first aid certificate. It is, however, recommended that childcare settings consider training all staff in paediatric first aid.
The content of the course is approved by Ofsted and appropriate to the age of the children in any given childcare setting.
The course is fun, practical and informative and is made relevant and appropriate for those working with children.
All of our training courses are delivered by qualified instructors.
We practice continual assessment on this course, so your participation and skills will be monitored throughout the day and upon successful completion of the course you will receive a Back to Life certificate, valid for 3 years from the date of issue.
What will you learn?
- Understand the chain of survival
- Understand the principles of initial assessment
- Understand the basic theory and practice of dealing with injuries and illness
- Gain information on how to set up policies and procedures within the Childcare setting and be able to plan for first aid emergencies
- Learn the recommended first aid boxes and equipment you should have in the childcare setting including safe storage and administration of medication
Accidents and injuries
- Basic life support skills – including recovery position and the choking casualty (appropriate to the age of the children being cared for)
- Practical use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- Shock and Bleeding
- Eye injury
- Foreign objects in ears etc.
- Head injuries
- Minor wounds
- Moving injured casualties
- Recognising injury to; bones, joints and muscles
- Spinal injury
- Stings and bites
- Effects of extreme temperatures including febrile convulsion
Common Chronic Medical Conditions In Children
- Sickle cell anaemia
- Dealing with infectious illnesses in child care including meningitis
Equipment and Reporting
- First aid boxes
- Reporting and record keeping
- Reporting of Injuries and Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR)
- Medicine administration
Scenario-based training tailored to your working environment, delivered on-site by one of our experienced trainers
Contact us with your chosen date and time for a bespoke quotation. Evenings and weekends at no extra cost. Discounts for Multiple bookings and/or contract rates are also available.